Facts about UK car manufacturing
Our automotive industry turns over more than £71 billion and employs more than 800,000 people including 169,000 directly in manufacturing.
There’s very strong foreign demand for British-built cars:
- More than 1.6 million cars were produced here in the first 11 months of 2016
- Almost four fifths (78%) was exported
- UK car manufacturing output in November 2016 was higher than at any time since 1999
- More than half of exports were to the European Union
- More than 2 million engines were produced in the UK
More than 70 different models are built in the UK by more than 30 manufacturers.
Source – The AA