Globally displaced people (2019)
War, violence and persecution drove worldwide forced displacement to another new high.
UNHCR’s annual Global Trends Report – released on 19 June 2019 – shows that nearly 70.8 million people were displaced at the end of 2018. Some 13.6 million people were newly displaced during the course of the year.
Overwhelmingly it is developing countries that are most affected.
- 70.8 million forcibly displaced worldwide
- 25.9 million refugees – 5.5 million are Palestinians
- 3.5 million asylum seekers
- 80% of refugees live in a neighbouring country
- 57% of refugees come from 3 countries – Syria, Afghanistan and South Sudan
- 3.9 million people are known to be stateless but there are expected to be many more.
- 37,000 people are forced from their homes through conflict