United Nations – what is it achieving?
In 2019 the UN can demonstrate 10 actions and results that show in quantifiable terms how their daily work and that of its agencies affects the lives of people around the world.
- Provides food and assistance to 91.4 million people in 83 countries
- Supplies vaccines to 45% of the world’s children and saves 3 million children’s lives with it
- Assists and protects 71.4 million people fleeing war famine and persecution
- Works with 196 nations to keep the global temperature rise down to below 2c / 3.6f
- keep peace with 102,482 peacekeepers in 14 operations around the world
- Tackles water crisis affecting 2.1 billion people worldwide
- Protects and promotes human rights globally through 80 treaties and declarations
- Coordinates $91.2 billion appeal for the humanitarian needs of 131.7 million people
- Uses diplomacy to avoid conflict and assists with 50 countries a year with their elections
- Helps over 2 million women a month overcome pregnancies and childbirth complications