Official: Requirements for all UK citizens driving in the EU from 29 March 2019

15th January 2019 / United Kingdom
Requirements for all UK citizens driving abroad from 29 March 2019

TruePublica Editor: It is as plain as day what this means. The text below is lifted straight from the UK government website. This will be the beginning of a whole raft of technical changes many British citizens will have to deal with over the coming months and years.


  • From 28 March 2019, drivers from the UK will need extra documentation to drive in the EU and EEA

  • Brits living in the EU will need to exchange their UK driving licence and apply for an EU licence and may have to take a driving test. 

  • In the event that the UK leaves the EU without a deal, UK drivers may also need an international driving permit to drive in the EU and EEA. 



Driving licence exchange for UK nationals living in the EU

If you are a UK licence holder living in the EU or EEA you should exchange your UK driving licence for a local EU driving licence before 29 March 2019. From that date, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may have to pass a driving test in the EU country you live in to be able to carry on driving there.

You should consider exchanging your UK driving licence for an EU driving licence as soon as possible. Increased demand may lead to longer processing times and delays to exchanging driving licences the closer it is to 29 March 2019.

If you return to live in the UK provided you passed your driving test in the UK (or another specified country), you can exchange your EU licence for a UK licence without taking another test.


Driving licences and international driving permits

On 28 March 2019, the type of international driving permit (IDP) that some countries outside the EU and EEA recognise will change.

From 29 March 2019, in the event that there is no EU Exit deal, you may need an IDP in addition to your UK driving licence to drive in EU and EEA countries.

SafeSubcribe/Instant Unsubscribe - One Email, Every Sunday Morning - So You Miss Nothing - That's It

If you hold a UK driving licence you should not need an IDP to drive in Ireland from 29 March 2019 as Ireland does not currently require IDPs to be held by driving licence holders from non-EU countries.


Trailer registration

From 28 March 2019, you must register commercial trailers weighing over 750kg and non-commercial trailers weighing over 3,500kg before they can travel to or through most EU and EEA countries.

You can voluntarily register non-commercial trailers that weigh over 750kg but there is no legal requirement to do this.


See the full government advice notes and application forms HERE



At a time when reporting the truth is critical, your support is essential in protecting it.
Find out how

The European Financial Review

European financial review Logo

The European Financial Review is the leading financial intelligence magazine read widely by financial experts and the wider business community.